Spring is Here, time to start planting!
March 22nd, 2016
This past Sunday marked the begining of spring, even though it sure has seemed like it was already here for most of February. It certainly is starting to feel like spring here around the nursery as more plant material is arriving every day. While much of our material is still coming in, right now we have our full selection of spring bulbs, onion sets, and seed potatoes. Now is a great time to get these things planted. This year we are carrying the following varieties of onions and potatoes (while supplies last):
- Walla Walla - Yellow, semi-flat, sweet, open pollinated
- Yellow Sweet Spanish - yellow, globe shaped, mild, open pollinated
- Red Wing - red, globe shaped, slightly pungent, hybrid
- Red Candy - Deep red, flattened globe shape, sweet, hybrid
- Huckleberry Gold - produces round to oval tubers with purple skin and yellow flesh
- Russet Burbank - Idaho Russet Burbanks are oblong in shape, with light russet-brown netting, shallow eyes, and white flesh.
- Red Norland - Medium-large oblong tubers with moist, red skin and firm white flesh.
- Rose Finn Apple - an heirloom variety with mouth-watering little finger-shaped spuds 2 to 5 ounces each and stuffed with savory flavor!
- Purple Majesty - Deep purple color and sweet, buttery flavor.
- Yukon Nugget - round tubers with yellow skin and small red eyes.
- French Fingerling - earthy and buttery flavor, average between 2 and 3 inches in length, flesh marbling of pink and ivory