Fun Rose Facts
June 17th, 2019
One of the most well-known flowers, roses can be found any time of the year in any color. In honor of June being national rose month, we’ve rounded up some fun facts about this beautiful flower.
- There are over 100 different species of roses
- Blue and black roses do not exist naturally
- Some species of roses can grow to be 23 feet tall!
- The world’s largest rosebush is 8,500 square feet and is in Arizona
- Colorado was the home of the oldest found fossil of roses. It was from 35 million years ago
- Rose thorns are actually called ‘prickles’
- Red roses are the most-sold variety
- Roses last longest in cool areas and should never be displayed at over 80 degrees
- Of all rose purchases made by women, 24% of those are sent to their husband or significant other
- Red roses symbolize love, pink symbolizes admiration, yellow symbolizes joy and friendship, white symbolizes purity, and orange symbolizes energetic.
- There is a rose bush on the wall of the Cathedral of Hildesheim in Germany that has been growing for over 1,000 years
- The fruit of a rose is called ‘rose hip’
Know any other fun facts about roses? Let us know in the comments below!
Right now at Fossil Creek Nursery, the Rose of Sharon is 20% off until June 19. Visit us at 7029 S College Ave, Fort Collins, CO.